Saturday 6 February 2016

Circular No 744









Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 6 of February 2016 No. 744
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
I am still looking for Gerald Anderson.  Are there any leads??
Here is his resume from our Webmaster, just in case you have not read it on his web page.
He is also the custodian of the student list or database, just in case you need information on classmates.
Abalasi Kazim
Graphic arts, web design and multimedia productions. 
So nice to communicate with you and get to know you better.
After leaving Holy Cross College where I studied for 5 years, I came to Mt. St. Benedict to get more O'Level subjects.
I was persuaded to stay for 2 years instead of the 1 year I sought.
It was a very wonderful experience, meeting so many schoolmates not only from all over Trinidad, but the world, even Malaysia.
The 2 years I speak about are between 70 and 72.
My dad, who was a director of the then national airlines BWIA, died during this time in my life.
That is just a little history.
As I shared earlier I experienced something so transforming in my life at the Abbey.
And I always remember with fond memories my schooldays as I believe all other schoolmates do about a school they love and cherish.
For most of my adult life I have been a social worker and community worker.
I have done extensive work in this field in Arima, Trinidad, and in Phoenix, Arizona.
I am open to doing things to help transform and benefit our home country, and our world.
My projects and work is documented briefly in my personal website
I accept other people’s gifts in life, and the vocations and professions they have chosen.
I am just doing God's will by exercising my faith.
As the scriptures goes, ""Faith without works is dead"".
So I have to embody my faith and make it alive or living.
The projects I do are a manifestation of God's faith in me.
I believe my faith grew very strong while attending Mt St. Benedict.
PS (Kazim suffered a stroke in July 2012, and is now undergoing physiotherapy in Sweden.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
You know what was really remarkable about this school...  as a group of guys being around each other constantly all day, we all grew up as a family.
There might have been the odd confrontation amongst us, but there was never a serious fight involving weapons of any type.
We all grew up together, respected each other’s space and got along like a family.
These days, if you had that many guys together for a week, there would have been shots fired and assaults of every kind.
All I can say is, thanks to our parents who raised us to be gentlemen and to have respect for others and to the guys that were all my family at the Mount while I was getting my education.
Thanks too, to our educators, the teachers, the priest and the lifelong friends that I have made as a result.
I couldn't have done it without you .....
Cheers my brother, well said, as youngsters we went together to the monks to learn wisdom.
As young men, we shared each other's pleasures.
As grown men, we have always been close friends.
We have been contented subjects of our kind.
Thank you for sharing a part of your heart with us.
We love you, God Bless,
Sorry Sir  Jerry Bain, big stone is a weapon, ask Sir Bandit David Decastro) he always carry two in he hand ha! ha!,
We use to have big stone war, only two or three head get bust.
Keeping the story correct ha! ha!.
A great school. ...It is very unfortunate that it no longer exists....So many youths will never get to be a part of that unique experience.......
I am grateful to have been a part of that experience and I am sure all of my colleagues would echo the same refrain.....
Indeed, a blessed school and we were the chosen ones to have attended.
Big Up Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict.
Thank you, Sir  Salah Wilson, for your kind words, cheers my brother.
Hey Glen. ...Hope we can get that jam happening one day man....LOL
Sir Salah, I might have to get in line to play with you man, ah hear ah pan side talking about yuh quite in San Fernando
cheers Glen.
LOL...would be nice for it to happen one day
It will, we have the whole year ahead of us
Cheers.
Yes, Jerry you are quite correct-
AMEN, Bandit
Hi, Glen, what you say is true-that was my only defense against the bigger boys so I use to pelt and run like hell.
Those were the days. "Bandit"
I really enjoyed my boy days on the Mount,
I don't think I ever laugh so much in meh life.
Yeah, Bobo had meh in the office, wanting to know if I also threw any stones, well he had no witness, so I did not throw no stones, not so funny, ah think one or two boys were sent home, for that.
Look, a Boarder, is ah Survivor, if you alive now, and yuh could talk about it, yuh lucky ha! ha!
We did have cloudy days, but there were more sunny ones.  Those were the days of Sir Bandito.
Welcome to the Club, Los Amigos.
Cheers Glen.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
This writing was received from Louis Lacour, Class of 1960, (yu yu)
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 11:41 PM
My friend, Ladislao,
Thanks for your E Mail .
I give you some general and succinct information since I left Mount.
I went to college in USA for 3 years.
I returned to Guadeloupe, put up a "Tool outlet” business and did very well from 1967 to 1990.
I got married in 1967, had 3 children a girl and twins, a boy and a girl.
I separated with my wife in 1987 and stopped the tool business in 1990.
I then left the main town of Pointe a Pitre to St. Francois where I became and still am a professional fisherman.
Since 1987 after my separation, I am with a younger very nice lady and my fisherman’s life is well organised.
My fishing boat is 31 ft long and run by 2 Yamaha 150 cv out board.  My boat was made in Trinidad by De Gannes.
Next time, I will give you more information concerning my hobbies.
Hope everybody home in good health.
Amicale Souvenirs
Louis Lacour
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Richard Driver <rdriver37@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:46:12 -0800 (PST)
Hi Las,
I left MSB in 49??
It was really interesting getting your email, (nearly didn't open it, glad I did).
Going through your list brought back many memories.
I have forwarded the e-mail to some people I remember, and whose names I don't see.
Like I said, I left in '49 (form I?) and went back to Guyana and finished school there.
I now live in British Columbia, Canada, with my wife Pauline and two "kids".
My daughter Catherine, 27, lives in Vancouver, and my son Mark, 24, lives in Toronto.
I just retired after 42 years at NCR corp.
Hey, how did you find my email address?
Hope you and your Family have a very Merry Christmas and all the best for '03.
Thanks again.
Richard Driver.
----------------------------------------------------------
From: Manuel José Prada Padovani <manjosepra@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 15:12:01 +0000
Never the “last” Ladislao. (Circular)
Thanks a million for the good and bad news, bad when they refer to people passing away but that is life.
On a personal basis you have opened a book that Isaias (Farcheg), Urbano (Fedak), Pedro (Castro), Azier (Atela) and I, among others tried to keep open on the first Monday of every month, at times we tried to keep updated on our former friends but we were not able to keep things going steadily, so thanks to you and my dear Gabby, I must write him,
I love him dearly, he doesn’t know how grateful I am to him for his kindness with me at Atchison, Kansas, only God knows.
All the best Ladislao, really,
God bless and protect you.
Manuel Prada.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Another event that happened at the Mount, written by Christopher Knowles (1960):
LIGHTNING STRIKE
Lightning once struck one of the metal posts of the fence that ran next to the volleyball court.
We were in the Study Hall, aka Form One classroom, at about 8 pm, which is about twenty metres ( in those days it was not at about twenty meters but at about twenty five yards), or so away from the fence and up one floor,.
The noise was a terrific crack, and every hair on my head and arm stood up.
The flash left us startled, as both sound and flash was simultaneous.
There was a great echo as we started to shout and tried to find out where the lightning stuck, maybe to see a great ball of fire?  The last is my addition to the original paragraph.
Does anybody remember this?  Can you add to the event?
God Bless
Ladislao
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Mount St. Benedict 90th Anniversary Celebrations
Tuesday, July 09, 2002.
On October 06, 2002, Mount St. Benedict will celebrate its 90th Anniversary.
A three-part campaign has been developed around this occasion.
The objectives are: to commemorate the Anniversary by hosting a series of special events; raise funds to cover costs required for renovation and maintenance of the property and create public awareness about the mount.
As a build-up to the Anniversary Month, the Management Committee comprising of Father Francis Alleyne, O.S.B., Frank Bradshaw, Marlene K. Chin, Simeon L. Sandiford and Sharon White, identified a series of fund-raisers.
The main project is the manufacture of a Compact Disc, produced by Sanch Electronix Limited. It features Prayer-time Chants and songs performed by various groups including the Lydian Singers, under the musical direction of Brother Paschal Jordan of Guyana, composer of lyrics and music for the entire album.
The CD was recorded at the Abbey in March and utilizes Microsoft's proprietary 24-bit HDCD® technology. On Sunday 14th July, 2002, it will be launched at the mount.
Other commemorative items include Cassettes, Scented Candles, Limited Edition Prints of Art by Dermott Louison, Peter Soo Ping Chow and Rhea L. Sandiford, Coffee Mugs, Knitwear and Bookmarks.
A fitting date, Sunday 14th July, as it also marks the celebration of the Feast of St. Benedict. On that evening the CD will be aired at 8:00p.m on The Supreme Sound, a weekly programme hosted by Sanch Electronix Limited on Experience 100FM.
The Right Reverend Francis Alleyne, Abbot of Mount St. Benedict, says that the interest already expressed in the project is extremely encouraging. He also says that based on the Motto of Mount St. Benedict, Ora et Labora which means Prayer and Work, he is confident that the goals will be achieved.
The publicity events will include an Anniversary Luncheon to be held on Sunday 20th October and an Exhibition of archival material dating back to the early 1900s, which will be open for public viewing on Sunday 14th July.
Tours will also be arranged for students and teachers of schools across the country. Everyone is invited to visit and learn about this profound legacy that has been gifted to Trinidad and Tobago.
------------------------------------------
EDITED by Ladislao Kertesz, kertesz11@yahoo.com,  if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
----------------------------------------------
Photos:
Bandit p78x p79 The Early Times
16LK0001LKENCA, Ladislao Kertesz and Natividad Cabello
14LK3385FBADO, Luis Dominguez
15AZ3206AZAFAM, Arturo Zavarce and son






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.