Sunday 10 April 2016

Circular No 753








Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 10 of April 2016 No. 753
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Before you read the exchanges, ask yourself the following question:
Who is in trouble??  The Old boys (individually or as a group) or the Mount (as an entity)
Here I reprint the on-going exchange on how to save the Mount.
Of course this Circular is about The Abbey School, but the Mount is what I call the entity envisioned by those who were in charge of safekeeping and make it grow during my time at the school.
I envision that the Mount is going to be lost, maybe continuing to be dismembered as it has, but to whose benefit??
Maybe there is the reason??  Or just bad luck??
Why?? I ask, because when in trouble those in the problem are the ones that ask for help.
And no signal has been received, at least since I am the Editor of this Circular.
All these years we have tried to access Fr. Abbot one way or other to no avail.  Always the answer was the same, if you want to help, there is the Alms box in front of the church.
I personally asked Fr. Abbot to give me an insight on how we the Old Boys could help?
The answer was that those that wanted to help should go to the Ruling Committee of the Monastery.
Write a letter with the proposal so that it may be studied.
I further asked on who were the members of the committee and where were they meeting so to be able to write to you my readers information straight from the lions mouth.
Got no clear answer that would satisfy my curiosity and thus I have not written anything in this humble Circular.
So, I also believe in that we cannot do anything until there is a business way of conducting the problem.
And also believe that Fr. Abbot is not in control of the future of the Mount. I sincerely hope that this is not true.
Harsh words but maybe Fr. Harold can reply, and I promise that it shall be published as soon as I get it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Harold Imamshah                                      
10 April 20:42
Thank you Nigel;
I am clear now of the goodwill, willingness and loyalty on the side of the Abbey Alumni to see the continuation of the Mount and to contribute in many ways possible and I am also aware of what appears to be either caution or guardedness with some groups/individuals outside of the Monastic Community.
I say some, because I've observed that some groups and individuals have developed a relationship of offering care, spiritual and financial assistance to the Mount.
I will do whatever I can to facilitate, because I believe an Alumni connection is a valuable one and beneficial to both sides.
Sincerely,
10 April at 20:03
Sir Jon Golding,
Thank you for just replying,
I can only listen at this point before I can even make any comments,
Sir Ladislao Kertesz & Sir Nigel Boos have said it all before.
Sir Harold Imamshah, give them a sign and maybe they can reopen such a discussion,
We have a proper organized international group, we will study any reasonable idea, that is presented but we are very cautious, as we also have been burnt before.
Cheers
Glen.
10 April 19:43
Perhaps if I as a monk might have asked for the School to be used as a Music School or as a Drug Rehab, I might have been shot down...maybe not...but those whom I encouraged to approach the Mount did succeed...
I'm not sure what's the answer for each era...but I'm glad I had the courage to plant the seeds I did.
By the way, when I left the Mount before I became a Priest, I started the Reunion of Fatima's Class of 75 and here we are 40+ years later actively meeting monthly and raising funds twice a year...
Maybe the seeds we plant now as an Alumni (given the discouragements of the past) may sprout when we cannot see it...
I am certainly going to share all of this online with those that I taught between 1979-84...they too need to step up, b/c it is they who saw the school finally close.
Harold Imamshah                                      
10 April 19:38
I am sorry that things didn't go well then...they didn't go well for me either, when I appeared to be in the minority that wanted the continuation of the school.
I twice sent delegations to ask for Buildings as a Music School and then as a Drug Rehab Centre.
The Music School was very successful and soon outgrew the Boarders' Dormitory and now the Drug Rehab Centre is still there.
Harold Imamshah                                      
10 April 19:34
Thank you Jon Golding
Time has moved on and not all that we would like, but if we ALL are part of the Abbey past and present and what we tried and suggested did not work...
Let’s not give up on past or present leadership, let's try different approaches...relate differently...new strategies/suggestions...
If we give up or decry what did not work or those who didn't...???
Couldn't we try again? and try differently?..
Believe me, I myself have not given up...after all the Mount has changed for me too...I urge you not to give up...trying at least...
Jon Golding                                   
10 April 19:24
Sorry I disagree, if you don’t say something not nice but TRUE and necessary - say it!
Jon Golding                                   
10 April 19:23
Glen,
You summed it up very well and I speak from personal experience of creating an informal committee around 2005/6 to examine the state of the Mount (using TT leading architect firm led by ex old boy, Brian Lewis).
We had a few committee meetings with Fr Benedict, Fr Odo and others and the Abbot once.
But Fr. Abbot seemed to resist our plan and not even the free offer to survey the entire place and get an idea of the danger of the old uninhabited buildings like the old chapel and dormitory and abandoned pool and sports field.
Brian would have come up with a schedule of what needed to be demolished/rebuilt and estimated costs.
Our rich TT Syrian brothers I spoke to were very interested in upgrading the place with added facilities to attract more churchgoers and most of all to appeal to potential MONKS to join the empty ageing monastery.
10 years later the Abbot looks more tired and less interested then ever until he retires.
We don't need money as Fr Harold says but I say we need LEADERSHIP. Voila!
Glen Schaefer                                    
10 April 19:22
Thanks Fr Harold for the supportive words for the Abbot.
My mom always said if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all.
Nuff said.
Harold Imamshah                                      
10 April 18:36
I am a former Teacher of 2 Schools in St. Vincent and 2 in Grenada and 2 in Trinidad and an alumnus of one in Trinidad and I don't have to do anything to help raise funds in support of those 6 schools.
I work monthly however, with my Alma Mater in Trinidad and we raise hundreds of thousands of dollars which we divide in the support of our Alma Mater as well as other local charitable causes annually.
So I know that we as Abbey School Alumni/Teachers can pour our heart and soul into an Abbey Project..
I hear and read about so much passion and love for Abbey School from Alumni, that I believe this is the time for us to channel it all into something beautiful for Abbey.
Harold Imamshah                                      
10 April 18:28
My simple suggestion is that we can help lift the burden from his shoulders and offer to help...?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
TO BE CONTINUED IN THE NEXT ISSUE
----------------------------------------------------------------.
5 April 18:25
HELLOOOOOO, HOLAAAAAAAAA
Andres Freites                                
8 February 17:15
Hello my brothers, all Mount Boyers.. HeHe!!!
Glen G. McKoy                                
8 February 16:53
Sometimes it may seem the channels are disconnected, but trust me, the lines are open at all times, its just silent.
Muchas Gracias.
Rafael Echeverria G                                 
8 February 16:48
Hello guys, long time I didn't 'hear' from you....
Glen G. McKoy                                
8 February 16:38
Thank you, Sir Ladislao Kertesz, looking great, love the circulars, it’s the only reason I got involved,
Great Grand Master Knight.
Cheers Glen.
Kazim Abasali                                
8 February 11:24
Dear Kazim,
First Venezuela, now Trinidad.
The internet servers are beginning to reject my emails informing the Old Boys about new Circulars.
I suspect the servers are programmed to look out for spam and to reject it.
That means that now none of my updates to either of those countries may be getting through. 
Could I please trouble you to post the notice below on the Group page?
That way, the news might get through to some of those whose servers have blocked my emails.
Don
-------------------------------
Dear Old Boys,
Ladislao’s Circulars for the new year have started to go up.
Keep well.
Don
------------------------------------------
EDITED by LadislaoKertesz, kertesz11@yahoo.com,  if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
----------------------------------------------
Photos:
73LK3851LMI, Llewellyn McIntosh, teacher
14LK0662FBDDV, Dennis de Verteuil in Juan Griego Margarita
15LD0002LDO, Luis Dominguez,  would like to contact his brother
62RE0001RECGAN, Rafeal Echeverria and Gerald Anderson






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.