Saturday 6 August 2016

Circular No 770








Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 6 of August 2016 No. 770
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Dear Friends,
Now back to the circulars.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
From: salvador coscarart coscarartsalvador@hotmail.com
Date: 25 July 2016 at 20:10
To: Henry Lincoln henry.r.lincoln@gmail.com
Good evening, Mr Henry.
I was asked to find the old Abbey School boys that live close to me.
I live in Lafayette, Louisiana. My cell is 337-412-8751.
They wanted to know if you had gone to the Abbey School in Trinidad, if so then some of your old buddies wanted to make contact with you.
My friends Christopher De Marothy, Carlos D'vorak. Nigel Gomes and some other ones have asked me to see if I could find you.
I will be going to Cuba Alabama.
I am going to work for McElroy truck lines in Cuba, I will be there on Sunday August 1st.  If you have sometime please call me and let me know.
My name is Salvador Coscarart and I went to Mount in 1967 to 1974. Then I came to Baton rouge to attend LSU , and then transferred to USL in Lafayette.
Well, hope we can meet one day if it is not to much trouble.
Thanks, and like they say here in Cajun country.
Later, ‘gator.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: shadowlawn@caribsurf.com
Date: 6 July 2016 at 10:03
Dear Ladislao,
Apologies for delay in replying.  
First of all, Scipio Roodal Soodeen died at 84 in early April.
Most of Scipio's family are in England holidaying at present so unable to give you an exact date.
Both Philip Nassief from Dominica and I were among his bearers.  
Maurice Correia has said he is unable at present to be part of the old MSB Network.
No one can give any information on Aubrey George but think he was from Trinidad.
Hope this helps.
Best Wishes,
Cecil
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: "Ladislao Kertesz" <kertesz11@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2016 9:42:03 PM
Dear friends from Barbados
Could you check out for Maurice Correia, the Diamond Shoppe
Also George Aubrey, I have no information on him.
The Circular is in dire need for a few lines from you.  Maybe your resume??
A photo??
God bless
Ladislao EDITOR
-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
Boos Peter N. <pnboos@gmail.com>
On Feb 28, 2016, at 10:39 AM,
laszlo kertesz <kertesz11@yahoo.com> wrote:
Good photo, shall be in Circular 747
When is your birthday??
Ladislao
20th of April
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Sunday, February 28, 2016 9:58 AM,
Peter Boos <pnboos@gmail.com> wrote:
On my 70 th birthday in 2015.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 28 Feb 2016, at 10:21 AM,
laszlo kertesz <kertesz11@yahoo.com> wrote:
Thank you, Peter,
Maybe you can send me a photo or two. 
You must be a beautiful couple.
It is not that I want you to get together, it is for information purposes as I cannot make a decent call from here to those that I have numbers.
Michael King a classmate of mine has long passed away.
Maybe Michael Correia?
Thank you again for the lines and if you have additional information please send it ot me. 
Ladislao
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Saturday, February 27, 2016 7:32 PM,
Peter Boos <pnboos@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Ladislao,
So sorry to read of the situation in Venezuela.
Hopefully the beginning of the end is near and the people can get relief.
A long difficult reconciliation ahead.
I left MSB around 1955. Then attended CIC before going on to boarding school in England in 1957. 
Returned to Trinidad in 1969 got married to my Bajan wife, Jan Hunte and relocated to Barbados in 1970 where we have lived happily since.
Two children and four wonderful grandsons.
We have been blessed.
With best wishes,
Peter
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Feb 27, 2016, at 4:20 PM,
laszlo kertesz <kertesz11@yahoo.com> wrote:
To the Barbados kids, at least the ones from whom I have the email address
Please confirm when you receive this
I need Scandela Roger contact information
Also Basil Carlos, Pires Maverick Marketing Ltd.
I am worried about the health of Micheal Correia the jeweller
Did you go to the Abbey School, are you still living in Barbados.?
I have no information on you, can you give me a run down of the time you left Mt. St. Benedict??
God bless
Ladislao 1kertesz,  Editor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Timothy Mew MHC <mewhealthcare@bigpond.com>
 Jun 19 at 11:35 PM
Hola Ladislao,
Great work once again and only because you persevere – our sincere thanks.
I wonder if Csaba or you can provide some email help with our MSB class friends he mentioned:-
I've had the luck to be able to meet personally many of my old and closest friends as Urbano de Fedak, Azier Atela , Isaias Farcheg, Ricardo Figuera, Roberto Lipavsky, Pedro Castro etc.  
Many have left Venezuela over the years and some moved to Spain, where I am sure Ricardo lives for example.
Gail & I were just on a three visit to Spain & Portugal from mid-May to mid-June and it would have been great to have met up with as many as possible or even one MSB friend.
I will try to send a recent photo of us or our family [this one only has the Mew girls in it, five daughters and two grand daughters] for you.
We sincerely hope that there will be some light at the end of the tunnel for Venezuela and for you and its people.
Cheers and our best wishes for you and family, Tim.
-         MSB 1968.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
The photo: A rocket that was built during my last year at the Mount.
LK-SPACE
The story: The igniter, a small pivotal old JETEX motor filled with cotton and alcohol, which was pulled with a thread from a safe distance so that it moved underneath of the rocket motor, where it ignited a fuse and the fuel that was prepared behind the sports house.
It was made using Potassium Chlorate and sugar mixed in a cup over an open flame fire,
Fr. Benedict, had he known at the moment, would have been proud of us.
Dangerous operation as two occasions the mixture caught fire and the hot vapours did slight damage to our hands!!!.
In both occasions, we kept our secret, once my hands and in the other occasion, the hands of ? , (maybe someone can tell me) [I am taking advantage of my position as the person who puts the Circulars up on the Blog to add this comment reminding Ladislao that I was the little boy at the time who assisted with the firing of the rocket.  I remember the sight of it zooming into the sky as if it was yesterday.  I don’t remember anything about the rocket immediately before or after the flight.  Don]
It was Saturday and no one wanted to go to the infirmary because of the Saturday night movies.
Did it fly??, we set the rocket on the hill on the North side of the football field on the top edge of the cliff, well it is difficult to say as it started up with a lot of smoke and suddenly Fr. Bernard appeared from nowhere at the road on the first bent out of the sports field very close to where we were and asked if we were lighting fire.
The rocket flew from the mountain side to the football field where it sputtered. Height, no one measured it.
Next I ran up to Fr. Bernard to tell him something which finally satisfied him and continued up the monastery road.
We ran down to rescue the rocket, the smoke subsided and all that was left was a melted aluminium cylinder.
The conclusion was that there we needed higher pressure in the propulsion chamber for more altitude.
If there would have been an overpressure!!! Who knows the results?
Through the years I have seen a movie on TV, The Rocketers, a bunch of West Virginia high school student, doing the same thing.
They were persistent, rocket after rocket; ours was a one try event.
------------------------------------------
EDITED by Ladislao Kertesz,  kertesz11@yahoo.com,  if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
----------------------------------------------
Photos:
48UN0005ABBOTVANDUIN, Abbot van Duin in procession
64TF0013RECGAN, Rafael Echeverria and Gerald Anderson
65AG0012AGYGRP, Attila Gyuris swimming competition
60LK0012ROCKET, The first rocket launched at Mount by Ladislao Kertesz






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.