Saturday 2 January 2016

Circular No 739










Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 2 of January 2016 No. 739
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
---------------------------------------------------------------------
News on Paul Quesnel, and Farouk.
glen evelyn gevelyn1@bellsouth.net 
11 dec 2015
Thanks for sharing. I do believe Paul and Farouk are with the king of heaven. 
Enjoy, Glen
-------------------------------------------------------------.
Rudi Singh singhrudi@yahoo.com
Jan,
Thank you for sharing that. Your story gives us an insight into some aspect of your lives that not much of us would have known.
Somehow it makes us feel a little more bonded.
Rudi
-----------------------------------------------------------.
11 dec 2015
I am very sorry too to hear Paul Quesnel has passed away. I knew him very well all through the four years I was at MSB '63-'67 because he was in my class. Yeah, as Ian says below, always cool.
After '67 I had no more encounters with him. Can’t suppress it but in those days he looked very much like Dr. Kildare from the sixties television series. It is through the circulars I found out he was from a cacao estate in the mountains northwest behind MSB. 
I wish I had known that during my MSB time, he wasn't all that talkative, as I had been playing in the cacao growing business all through my prepschool time in Suriname before I came to MSB. Here a picture of me in 1962 with freshly picked cacao in Suriname you can adore
Could have had a joint venture with him but times went different. The coffee and cacao exporting business ended in Suriname around ‘65.
I missed the part he became head prefect because I left MSB before entering form V, but yeah, he was the kind of fellah suited to the job. Don’t think he gave much punishments.
In the prep dormitory in ‘63-‘64 he was my neighbour. One afternoon, in the dormitory preparing to go for showering, I said something to him and he replied. The supervisor didn’t see my telling part, only his reply and called Paul for a licking with the stick. While I was the one who caused it. Boy he was mad at me then, hitting me in the face later on coming out of the showers. I had earned it but it was all boyish innocence never meaning to get him a punishment.
Nigel, the name Farouk Bopha doesn’t ring a bell. In the circulars there was a class picture with a younger boy Quesnel, it was said there he was the nephew of Paul.
Much greetings to you all.
Jan Koenraadt
MSB ‘63-‘67
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel Boos <nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca>
11 dec 2015
I’m very sorry to hear that not only Paul Quesnel, but now, Farouk Bopha has left us. May God have mercy on his soul and grant him eternal rest in heaven.
But just for the record, can anyone confirm for me the spelling of his family name, and whether he had any brother/s at MSB. I’ve met Anthony Bhopa and I’m wondering whether he and Farouk might have been brothers. Also, I have never heard of Farouk until tonight, after 13 years of trying to discover the names of all of the OB’s for the database. No-one had ever previously mentioned him to me. It’s strange that no-one had previously noticed his name was missing from the database. Anyway, the dB is now a little more accurate.
Thanks for the update, Ian.
Merry Christmas, everyone.
Nigel
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
ian gomes gomesian@yahoo.com 
10 dic
Hi, All MSB Old Boys,
I received the under mentioned E Mail from Don Mitchell which advised the passing of Paul Quesnel.  Nigel Gomes my brother advised he heard this yesterday.  Two weeks ago it was Farouk Bopha.
Paul was the Head Prefect when I first entered MSB and was always a cool honest fair person.  He will be missed.  At the reunion in 2011 Paul was present and Johnny Garcia, Puggy and I were telling him of the treatment he gave us in school (really just teasing him) and he just smiled throughout all our stories.  Still was cool as ever.
Ian
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Carlos Dvorak carlos_dvorak@aincosa.com
May he be with God, I also remember him as one very honest fair person. My best wishes.
Carlos Dvorak
----------------------------------------------------------.
23 December 17:15
Blessed Christmas to you too Glen and family.
-----------------------------------------------------------.
23 December 16:04
Wishing all a wonderful Christmas / Peace & Love /
cc. Sir Ladislao Kertesz, Sir Don ID Mitch, Sir Nigel Boos, Sir Jon Golding, Sir Harold Imamshah & Sir Kazim Abasali. We look forward to an even better year.
Cheers don't drink and drive, we too old for dat. One Love, One Tribe.
-------------------------------------------------------------.
Carlos Dvorak
Dec 30 at 8:05 PM
Mis mejores deseos a todas aquellas personas que conocemos y queremos, con quienes hemos compartido lo bueno y lo malo de este año, que en el próximo año tengamos la suficiente fuerza y voluntad para dar lo mejor de nosotros mismos sin esperar recompensa a nuestros esfuerzos, para trabajar en unión con todos, por un mundo mejor, en el cual la paz sea posible, con justicia y equidad en el que sobrevivan las utopías aun cuando parezcan y sean imposibles.
CON TODO NUESTROS MEJORES DESEOS
CARLOS DVORAK y FAMILIA.
----------------------------------------------------------------.
From: George
amickiew@att.net
Season's Greetings from:
George
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Donald A Goddard <dgodda1@lsu.edu>
Date: December 24, 2015 at 2:33:13 PM EST
Amigos, Friends & Family:
All you have to do is follow the message on the attachment. After a hectic 2015, it would be a pleasure to take time to see you all in 2016: You guys in Europe, perhaps; You guys in Mexico, Colombia & Venezuela, would be great; You guys in the in the good ole USA, for sure.
Don G. 
……………………………………………….,
Gmail Jan <jankoenraadt@gmail.com>
3/11/14
Dear Ladislao,
Yes I receive your mails and links from Don Mitchell to the blog where the circulars are.
We owe you a lot, tiredness you put in labour to keep up the connections between the alumni’s as far away as the Netherlands!
For that, all my gratitude!
My class was the class graduating in summer 1968. I haven’t seen very much alumni’s of my class, maybe one or two.
But now you enclose a picture of Derek Phillips and his wife. Yes, he was in my class! Very hard to recognize in the picture, but that’s the problem we all face, we are getting old.
Thanks very much for all your good works, I enjoy it very much.
Much greetings, Jan Koenraadt
-----------------------------------------------------------.
De: soincabf@gmail.com
Fecha: Dic 19, 2015
Hola Ladislao:
Te incluyo abajo fotos de la familia Fontaine Bernardo.
Que tengas unas Felices Navidades y un Prospero Año Nuevo 2016 con tu familia y seres queridos.
Bernardo Fontaine
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: soincabf@gmail.com
Sent: Saturday, December 19, 2015 12:40 PM
Subject: Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year
Hi Don and Maggie:
Thank you for this short biography of the interesting events that you carried out with a few accidents but in general great experience and events.
In Venezuela there is a little light at the end of the tunnel however it is going to be an extremely difficult 2016.
Here in Venezuela business is practically non-existent with investments in housing and a closed farm due to the communist laws implemented and lack of equipment parts, farming products, labourers that do not want to work and, lastly, insecurity. Thanks to Wall Street I am living comfortably and selling $ every month to have a good standard of living in Venezuela.
Are you in Jamaica or Anguilla? Next cruise will try to see you after 55 years has gone by of the last good times and souvenirs at Mount. Thanks to modern technology we can communicate and “see”each other virtually, that is great.
Am sending a few pictures of us. The photo sequence is as follows:
We will be spending Christmas and New Year at the Beach Apartment and Club Puerto Azul in Naiguata, Venezuela
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year with your loved ones.
Bernard, Flor, Marie Claire, Gabriel, Christian and Leonardo Fontaine
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Don Mitchell  <idmitch@anguillanet.com>
To Charles-Henri Dunoyer de Noirmont
Jan 1 at 1:12  PM
Dear General Dunoyer de Noirmont,
I was interested to read your short bio in the Circular to which I have placed the link above.
You may have known Joel (Toby) who was at Mount at the same time you were there. He was perhaps my best friend between 1959 and 1964.  He is said to have come to a harsh end in France some years after he left the Abbey School in 1964. 
Do you have any information at all on what happened to him.
With all best wishes for the New Year.
Sincerely,
Don
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
Nigel P. Boos <nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca>
Saturday, April 12, 2008 10:33:08 AM
Don,
Thank you for this sad bit of information. The poor old man must have been devastated. 
I remember Joel very well, and he was one of the few Guadeloupians, so far as I know, who actually came to school at the Mount. Nice young man, never a very active chap, and if I remember, a bit chubby. He must have been about 14 when I last saw him. I wonder whether he had any children?
My mother used to import beautiful anthodium plants from Guadeloupe, and I am going to find out whether she remembers Pere Blandin at all, on the off-chance that he might have been her supplier.
So, thus ends a life story, eh? May his soul rest in peace.
I'm passing this note on to any of the Old Boys whose email addresses I have, and who might remember Joel Blandin.
Nigel
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 12-Apr-08, at 8:39 AM, Don Mitchell CBE QC wrote:
Hello Nigel,
You can take the question mark away from the RIP in the data base for "Joel Guy Blandin". One day in about 1981, I was sitting in my office in the Valley in Anguilla. An elderly potential client came in. We conversed in a mixture of fractured French and English. He grew anthurium lillies in Guadeloupe, but was looking to branch out into horticultural consulting with one of the new hotels starting up in Anguilla. 
He suddenly got up from his seat and examined a school photograph of Form V class of 1963 hanging on my wall. He asked me if I was in it. I told him yes. He asked me if I remembered Joel Guy Blandin, his son, who was also in the photo. I told him I certainly did. He had been one of my best friends at Mount. He and I had shared a mutual loathing for sports and scouting and all that deviant physical stuff. 
He told me, as far as I was able to understand him, that Joel had majored in business administration at a Canadian university. He had immigrated to France where he had married the daughter of a communist party leader in the French city of Lyons. Joel had been the secretary of the Chamber of Commerce of Lyons. The two fell out, and Joel was assassinated by machine gun one day while he was riding his motor cycle on the highway. The killers were never caught. I expressed my sorrow and commiserations as best I could. I never saw him again.
Keep well.
don
---------------------------------------------------------------.
From: GEORGE MICKIEWICZ [mailto: amickiew@att.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 7:41 AM
Subject: I Wonder...How Many Non-Catholics Attended Our School?
This question came to mind in lieu of all the religious related wars that have occurred in the past and are taking place now……never personally experienced any religious related animosities nor other negative issues while at the Mount from 1956 till 1962.
------------------------------------------
EDITED by Ladislao Kertesz
Send information to: kertesz11@yahoo.com,  if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
-----------------------------------------------
Photos:
Bandit p68x p69 The Early Times
15BF0010BFOGRP, Bernard Fontaine and sons
15CD0001CDEWFE, Charles-Henri Dunoyer and bride
04LL0003LLA, Louis Lacour and a big fish






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.