Saturday 16 January 2016

Circular No 741









Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 16 of January 2016 No. 741
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Here is the first part of your emails on the activities at school.
Subject:  Abbey School - Extra Curricular Activities Memories
TO BE CONTINUED IN CIRCULAR No 746
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glen Mckoy <mckoy43glen@hotmail.com>
09/02/15 at 4:08 AM
Dear Sir Anthony,
Thank you for your email.  
We are on Facebook, that is a common site now, about 109 brothers are on that site.
The Circular are not sent out as before, you must go to the Mount Blog now to see the circular,
I am cc.ing Sir Don to introduce you to the Blog & I will cc. Sir Kazim to add you to the facebook site.
I do send out emails most of the time, however I have been busy with life, as you know, and the family is very important you must not sacrifice there, 
I can tell you from experience ha! ha!
Take care and I must thank you for your support. 
Have a good day, best regards
Cheers my brother, Glen.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 12:50:58 +0000
From: anthonyali44@yahoo.com
Hello Glen,
Hope all’s well with you and yours. 
Not sure if it’s my email or a glitch but I have stopped getting emails and Abbey school news, I used to and enjoyed get news of what’s happened with past students and also what’s happening on the mount.
Sorry that I have not been able to participate in past activities, mostly because of my work schedule and occasionally little time I get with my family life.
I would really like to still be part of the Abbey boy's alumni, and try to get more involved in activities with the Abbey past students.
Can you kindly please keep me updated on Abbey alumni information.
Thank you
Cheers
Anthony Mark Ali, Remote offshore EMT/P,FF,EMS/AHA Instructor.
868-794-8406 cell
954-306-1188 us#
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Monday, June 22, 2015 1:58 AM,
Glen Mckoy <mckoy43glen@hotmail.com> wrote:
Dear Sirs, Brothers, Friends & Fellow Knights,
So wonderful to hear the stories from the horses mouths, absolutely amazing little brats we were ha! ha!  
However, these stories rekindle our joys as boys.
Thank You for sharing & keeping this fire burning. 
Long Live The Abbey School, Mount Saint Benedict - Alumni- Association - Old Boys Club & Historical Society of Caribbean History.  
Thank you. Sir Keith Allen on your feedback our on dear Fr. Cuthbert, good to hear he is back on the Mount, however still weak. Keep us informed.
May The Lord Bless Us All –
Long Live Our Realm – ours Faithfully
Glen McKoy. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: idmitch@anguillanet.com
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 19:13:53 -0400
Hello, Bernard,
How very good to hear from you after more than 50 years!! I remember you well. 
You were always the no-nonsense type whom I cannot imagine anyone would want to “sanpat” or “hedge”, far less “toothpaste”.
I occasionally searched for you on Google, but got lots of French or Spanish pages which I could not understand.
Please tell Ladislao what you have been doing with yourself over the past 50 years. 
He wants only 50 words (or more, if you can) to publish in his Circulars.
I shall add you to the list of Old Boys I occasionally send a reminder about Ladislao’s Circulars which he produces each week for the alumni of MSB. 
They go up on the internet as a blog, usually on a Saturday or a Sunday, and there are 13 years’ worth of them here:  http://abbeyschool2015circulars.blogspot.com/ . 
You can access the previous years by going to the “Links” in the right-hand column.
Keep well.
Don
-------------------------------------------------------------------------. 
From: Bernardo Fontaine
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2015 6:44 PM
Well, Mount companions,
Very interesting torture methods.
I do not remember them or maybe I was so innocent that I do not recall.
However I recall father Eugene sparking with a wood stick to Castells, Zeven, myself and others.
Joe and Baby Joe were there, also Piton and Joel Blandin.
Regards
Bernard Fontaine
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Jun 21, 2015, at 8:27 AM, Don Mitchell <idmitch@anguillanet.com> wrote:
Hi, Attila,
I do remember “toothpasting”. It was not as popular a form of torture as “hedging” and “sanpatting” during my time (1955-1964). The way it worked, was you squeezed a mass of toothpaste into your enemy’s bed between the bottom sheet and the cover sheet.  I never did it to anyone, nor did anyone ever do it to me, so I am not familiar with the finer details of the procedure. Indeed, in my decade-long stay at Mount, I only ever recall it being done once or twice in my dorm.
“Hedging” involved four or more boys holding the arms and legs of the victim and swinging him back and forth until just the right momentum had been developed to cast him up onto the top of the Bougainvillea hedge that ran along the south edge of the driveway into the School. The skill was in ensuring the victim was not thrown so hard that he was projected over the hedge and risked rolling down the steep hillside on the other side of the perpetrators. Now should he be thrown so short that he slammed into the prickled branches and bounced back onto the concrete in front of the gang. It had to be done just right so that he perched for several agonising minutes on the very top of the hedge, and slowly and painfully wriggled himself back down to the ground. I was both a victim and a perpetrator in several of these activities.
“Sanpatting” involved several boys, the more the merrier, surrounding some unfortunate victim and slapping him on the back of his head repeatedly until he either broke down in tears or charged into the crowd with fists flailing, either of which results would bring the proceedings to an end.
I am sure there were more varieties of torture sessions we inflicted on each other, but they slip past me and recede into the dark abyss of my Memories of the Mount. None were as cruel as the ones devised by the Monks. I recall being made to kneel in the corner of the “football boot shoe room” in the Small Boys’ Dorm for an hour at a time if you were caught talking after lights out.  I also recall being made to kneel out in the hot sun on the asphalt driveway with both arms extended holding a heavy dictionary in each, if you were caught talking in class. Other Monkish torture methods have been mentioned by others, so I won’t repeat them.
Keep well.
Don
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: gyuris
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2015 8:00 AM
Hi Bandit!
Well, actually we didn't HAVE a scooter, ...
It was the priests that had a few scooters in the motorpool and on occasion I borrowed them without asking, ... and at great peril to my continued stay at the Mount.
But I had a crush on one of the girls at the St. Josephs girls’ academy down the hill and I had to go by her dorm window to at least to see her.
It never occurred to me to realize that if the nuns there ever caught us communicating, they would report me to the priests at the Mount that I was on a scooter, and after hours no less, and that would be the end of my days at the Mount. 
When young and in love one does not think ( or care) about these things.
What is exactly "Toothpasting" guys" ?
What did you do?
Attila Gyuris
1964-1969
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Jun 20, 2015, at 12:21 PM,
david Decastro <calypsobandit@live.com> wrote:
Hi guys,
In reading that you guys had a motor scooter and could ride it down the hill IN THE NIGHT, amazing.
I got a cut ass for talking to a girl from the village one afternoon near the play field .
Father Ildephonse saw us with a spy glass from the mount.
You guys had it nice.
Also you must hear this story: one day in father Leo class somebody released a very stink FART.
He went ape and insisted that the nasty culprit stand up and admit-WELL WHO THE HELL GO DO THAT???
NOBODY, he got so angry he said he would not teach for the week so he came every day said open your Latin book and teach yourself you nasty boys, so that's what we did.
They were on our ass for every small thing.  That was the way it was, a series of endless cut ass.
I even got one the MORNING I was to go home for end of term in my pyjama for tooth pasting guys.
Now, that was the way it was
YOU LITTLE SUCKS (HA-HA-HA) "BANDIT"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: gyuris@yahoo.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 23:28:57 -0500
Hello Jan:
- GREAT memories. I can relate to all of them. Amazingly, that clandestine introduction to the motor scooters you gave me and, after you left, the thrill of my subsequent night rides down the hill to town, were probably instrumental in my lifelong love affair with motorcycles to this day. Especially long distance adventure travel riding. Thanks for showing me the ropes, even if it was on a stolen italian scooter! ... 
You know, after I got out of the Mount, I never stopped riding after that, I always had a motorcycle of one kind or another, probably owned about 15 different motorcycles in total including a Triumph Bonneville and a Harley Davidson Road King ... and almost 40 years later, I still ride my current BMW GS everyday even today, ... 
As you probably know, In 2012 I completed a long distance adventure ride of two months from the US to Ecuador. I intend to continue the trip to south to the Patagonias and back after I finally really retire from professional flying.
- By the way, that movement is called "flicking your wrist". It is a typically Venezuelan gesture to indicate "there is trouble".
- I think you introduced me to that Polish piano teacher too. I forget his name but he was a very nice guy. He even took me and another one of his piano students ( it might have been Lindsay Moffat, I don't remember for sure) to a classical piano concert in Port of Spain one time! And I also got some free piano lessons from Lindsay Moffat too. I remember It was always a race for the piano among the piano students to get the key to Bennet's Hall to go practice piano after lunch. I think that was one of the reasons I finally stopped my piano lessons. I could not get access to the damn piano to practice often enough.
Anyway, I took piano lessons from this Polish teacher for about 2 years I think, then I switched into playing guitars. Stanley Achong was my first guitar teacher and the lessons were in the staircase. He would charge me 25 cents per hour, on credit. I still owe him for some of those lessons!
- You have a great memory for names, yes it was Arthur Cumberbatch ("Atta") who was the "hand flute" virtuoso. He was really great at it. He would practice for hours.
- I also devoured the Biggles books at the school library. I loved to read all the books about his flying adventures in squadron 266 during WW I, flying his Sopwith Camel against the " Huns" (the Germans).
I remember that Fr Augustine, the librarian, was very lax and sporadic with opening the library for us. The library hours for borrowing books were usually a short period after lunch. Days would go by and he couldn't be bothered to come open it because he "got busy" with something else and he just would not show up, ... and the line of waiting boys would go away dejected after waiting for their entire lunch break, hoping against hope that he would show up to open it.
- Now that I remember, and after you mentioned a few, it was amazing how much petty abuse we had to endure from some of those priests ... Real petty tyrant nutcases, some of them...
Banning guitar playing because "it bothered their nap time". Caning everybody until someone confessed simply because one of the boys made a noise, ... how nazi-like!  Reminds me of the Gestapo tactics in villages to flush out who were the members of the resistance. Not allowing to go to the toilet to pee! ...
All these things seem like an outrage by today’s standards... I had forgotten about these abuses, but I guess we all suffered through them at one point or another...
Regards,
Attila Gyuris
1964-1969
------------------------------------------
TO BE CONTINUED IN CIRCULAR 746
---------------------------------------------------------.
EDITED by LadislaoKertesz
Send information to: kertesz11@yahoo.com,  if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
Bandit p72x p73 The Early Times
13LM9484LMESCO, Two muscle men Luciano and Salvador
13AM0152AMOGMO, Alfredo y Gonzalo Montiel and wifes
04TM0010TMEWFE, Timothy Mew and wife




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.