Sunday 13 March 2016

Circular No 749








Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 13 of March 2016 No. 749
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Here is a recent old boy, Pete da Costa, writing a resume.
--------------------------------------------------
Pete Da Costa
22 feb 2015
stevesco@outlook.com
Went to MSB between 1955 to 1961. Boarded from 1955 to 1957 then dayboy to 1961.
Didn't like Bobo, he leaned back too much, never stood up straight.
Had arrangement with Mr. De Mathis French teacher he walked in the front door and I walked out the back door, end of French for me.
Blew up Miss's Marcus's lab, end of chemistry for me
Best class was science with VOOSH best teacher.
Did like to hear Fr. Augustine's tales of when he was a boy in Holland during the war.
Somebody threw a spit ball at me from far side of class on second floor, I ducked it ended up in the hall and I jumped out to get it to throw back and found myself in front of the Abbott.
Nice man though, he just smiled and that was all.
Left in 1961 in form four didn't graduate.
Got job with Varig Airlines at Piarco as ticket agent.
Varig closed POS and went to Gordon Grant with Air Canada and KLM. (Aviation family Grandfather worked for BWIA, Father and Uncle worked for Pan Am)
Went to Canada in 1965 to live in St. Catharines.
Got married two years later to the French Canadian girl next door in 1967 in St. Catharines. Three kids, now seven grand kids.
Worked in St. Catharines in the lab of a paper mill, then GM as assembler.
Laid off in 1970
Went back to school in 1970 to Centennial College in Toronto graduated as Aircraft Maintenance Technician. Got Canadian licenced in 1973.
Moved up the ladder from Apprentice AME to Manager of Maintenance, held various positions as Director of Maintenance and V.P. Maintenance.
Retired 2013 now reports to wife and do whatever she tells me.
Now lives in Cambridge, Ontario.
Life is good. Could always be worse.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Conversation between Galvin and two female teacher that helped out at school.
I welcome the messages of inspiration that are posted.
In fact, some of them actually help me with the various obstacles and situations that I have to face on a daily basis. Apparently, some of the people who share these messages don't read them. To them they are just words. They mean nothing. Why else, after posting such inspiring words would you then make it your mission to make other's life miserable. I've realized that happiness for some is seeing others unhappy. Today let us begin practicing what we preach instead of being ungrateful and hypocritical. So we should pray: "Merciful God, open us to the goodness and loving kindness that infuses our lives and let us all become bearers of your peace."
(Please observe the spelling of his surname. Editor)
I went to Bishop's All Inclusive fete on Saturday. At a cost of $840.00, I did indeed have a fantastic time. Those Bishop's girls know how to throw a fete. Food, drinks, great entertainment and friendly welcoming faces, you could not help but have a good time. It was the night of the big cats. Women in leopard and tiger prints prowled the venue. Yes people, the ban on hunting certainly didn't extend to animal prints.
Happy Birthday, dear Garvin,.wishing god's blessings now and always
Ok so I am a bit early but wish you the same. Touch base with me when u have time
Hi Garvin, how you going? Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Garvin, hope all is well with you...I came to Trinidad only for a few days. Hope to visit for a longer time... Thank you for your comment. Have a blessed xmas Garvin. with love and blessings from my house to yours xoxo
To all those of you who sent me birthday greetings on Nov 8th, it is not so. My birthday has always & will continue to be on the 8th of Dec. That is day I was born. It is also the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. Ah lucky eh?
(If you wish to contact them, use facebook, EDITOR)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Richard de Verteuil Joven que conozco desde niño y del cual fui maestro bíblico y compañero de mi hijo me siento gozoso de que estés sirviendo a tu patria y mas aun en el puesto de la guardia nacional situada en la entrada de la urbanización en la cual vivo con mi familia nos sentimos doblemente protegidos con tu presencia y la del Dios a cual también le sirves y al cual le pido que te proteja y te de sabiduría DTB amen
(He lives in Juan Griego, Venezuela, EDITOR)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
MacKoy
Mar 3 at 10:04 PM
Thank you for your email.   
My name MacKoy is from Suriname. 
I understand it may have been from Guyana.   
I have a great uncle who died in New York at the age of 94.  Herbert F MacKoy. 
If you can follow him you may detect where the name came from.  
My father came from Suriname and that is all I know. 
Now in the Caribbean there were so many bastards, we really don't know.  
I know the name is also big in Jamaica.    
However they could be poor Irish that the Brits brought as slaves also, for example Barbados.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Feb 25 at 1:52 PM
Hello, Douglas,
It is very good to hear from you, and I am sure Glen would too. 
I look forward to hearing more about your genealogy. 
Somewhere, I have a family tree for my grandmother. 
I believe the Uddenberg part goes back to the sixteenth century. 
I have a cousin in Canada, Tian Uddenberg, who has worked on it for years.
I’ll copy this in to Glen for you. 
And, I’ll copy this to the Editor of the Abbey School Circular to show him how his Circular has enabled you to contact me and to put me in touch with our mutual cousin, Glen!
Sincerely,
Don
 -------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Douglas Fraites
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 12:04 PM
I chanced upon an exchange on a Mt St Benedict website by an alumni with the last name Mc Koy who it appears attended the school while you were there.   
I tried to find the exchange again but without success.
My cousins, Tony and Vincent Mc Koy were boarders at Mt St Benedict but likely before your time. 
I have been working on some genealogy and on the Mc Koy connection accounted for Tony and Vincent’s father’s twelve siblings except for two uncles who went to the UK to study and did not return to St Kitts, Patrick and Michael(born 1899 and 1895 respectively).
I was wondering if by chance the Mc Koy of your era might be connected to either Patrick or Michael. 
I hope you would not think it presumptuous of me to ask if you have contact with your Mc Koy contemporary to enquire on my behalf. 
If you do not wish to do so I quite understand.
I guess you may know that you also have a connection with the Mc Koys as your grandmother’s brother John August Uddenberg was married to Rosalie Mc Koy, aunt of Patrick and Michael. 
It has been quite a challenge getting Mc Koy information as the younger generations know very little while the older ones have all passed on.
Best regards to you sir,
Douglas Fraites
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
RE: Joining Abbey School group on LinkedIn ???
10 de septiembre de 2014 3:04
On 07/18/14 5:41 AM, Ladislao Kertesz wrote:
Dear Cornel 
The Circulars are posted in Don Michell’s Blog please look them up at abbeyschool2014circulars.blogspot.com
God bless 
Ladislao 
------------------------------------------------------.
El 05/02/14 19:02, Cornel De Freitas escribió:
Hello Ladislao,
Hoping all is great with you. Two questions: !-
1- Do you know how I can join this "Abbey School group on "LinkedIn" ? 
2- It has been a very long time since I have received the Abbey School Circular???
Any reason you can give for why?
Devout MSB Brother, Cornel
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
1 de agosto de 2014 0:05
Hello Ladislao,
Very sorry it took "this long" to respond.
The simple explanation is that I am not that experienced with "LinkedIn".
I am just getting the hang of "facebook" since I am more comfortable with "hotmail".
A thousand pardons requested, and for health reasons I have not been as active as I used to be on hotmail.
I have however been persistent and through some of my other OB's have steered me in a direction so that I can read the Abbey School Circulars.
Thank you so much for your really thoughtful contribution to the continued service and loving dedication for all you have done and continue to do. 
Sincerely, a very proud Abbey School OB 
Cornel de Freitas. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date:  Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:07:14 EDT
Dear Laslo,
I am presently, and have been living for the last 49 years,  in England. I live in the town of Chatham in Kent, which is in the south east of the country. So the chances that I meet any of my Mount contemporaries are pretty well nil. I can say that I have been back to Trinidad only twice in recent times, and on the last occasion I met Malcolm Boyack who was a contemporary.
He is a friend of my brother Alistair. I remember people like Anthony Lucky, now a judge I hear, and some of the Ames brothers. I have also been in touch recently with Richard and Leary O'Connor who are related to me by marriage through my uncle. They both live in Perth Western Australia and are retired. No joy with Julian and Benedict Hutton. I have not tried to locate them recently.
I do keep in touch with Christopher Henderson, Roger's elder brother, as we are the only family in England. We visit each other regularly and we are going to spend the weekend with them on 19th Oct. Chris and his wife Judy came to England about 15 years ago to live and they have more recent friends from Trinidad. You can send him email at ccjhenderson@yahoo.co.uk.
Must fly.
Richard De Verteuil
RAPDEV@aol.com
----------------------------------------------------------.
Another event that happened at the Mount:
>>>>>>>>>>><REDECORATION
Those in the big boys dorm in 1959, must remember their rooms, most of us got there in Form IV, and were given the inner rows and when we moved to Form V we finally got a window and could control the fresh air??, I had a window on the North side when there was a move to redecorate the cubicle, each of us was asked to choose a colour from a book, I chose mine which was finally painted a pastel brown. I remember that one of the cubicles was red?? But I do not remember whose cubicle it was, except that the room looked to the South. All this happened under Fr. Eugene´s reign (terrific), please raise a hand those that think it was so)??.
If any remembers their room’s colour, please give me a line.
I remember that the cubicle closest to the stairways was the Galt brothers, both made a lot of noise after lights out, putting in about half an hour of stretching with their newly bought “Charles Atlas” spring exercisers. I believe that it had five lines of springs. Can anyone remember “Charles Atlas”?.
So my friends, another week has gone by and I hope that you are getting ready for the Carnival. Maybe some of you can write about the event and let us share the emotions.
God Bless
Ladislao
------------------------------------------
EDITED by LadislaoKertesz, kertesz11@yahoo.com,  if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
10PQ4377PQUGRP, Paul Quesnel and group
60MR0001RRO, Michael Rezende
82RR0001RRO, Richard Rogers
15GS0001GSC, Glen Schaefer and big fish




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.