Sunday 20 March 2016

Circular No 750








Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 20 of March 2016 No. 750
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
I am in Valencia Spain visiting my sons.
Hope to be able to send you photos in the next issue.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Gregory milne
13 Mar (2 days ago)
Dear Ladislao and Fellow Alumni
I attended The Abbey School MSB from 1975 to 1982, from the Prep Class (pre-Form 1) right through to Form 5 and then repeated Form 5, in order to re-take my 'O' Levels in the hope of securing better grades, but ended up getting the same grades in 1982, as I did in the previous year of 1981. What a disappointment I must have been to my poor parents! God bless them! Then it was straight on a Bee-Wee flight to London, England, in February 1983 where I have remained ever since. 
Thanks be to God, that my secondary school experience at 'The Mount' proved to be a far better one, than that of my primary school experience at St Xavier's Private School, which 'scared' me emotionally for year after leaving, experienced which I won't discuss at this point. I absolutely loved my seven years at 'The Mount' and felt I could stay there forever, which probably contributed to me wanting to repeat Form 5. 
I have thoroughly enjoyed the regular on-line circulars of the Newsletter for Alumni of The Abbey School and remember with much fondness so many teachers, priests and brothers, including Fr Odo, Fr Cuthbert, Fr Benedict, Fr Vincent, Fr Francis, Miss Marcus, Mr Basanta and the list goes on. By the way, is Miss Marcus still going strong? 
Finally, there is a beautiful but short film on Mt St Benedict on YouTube. Go to 'Top Shot Trinidad Mount Saint Benedict'. Check it out, it's amazing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Gregory milne
15 Mar (1 day ago)
Hello Ladislao,
Thanks for your email. I can confirm that Peter Milne is my older brother;
Anthony Milne was my 1st cousin (deceased in 2013);
Michael Milne is also my 1st cousin.
Bruce Milne and Iain Milne are both well known to me, as I remember them well from Maracas Valley (and from Mt St Benedict) though we are not related (as far as I am aware). 
Please be advised, that I am the only Milne in 'our clan' to have attended The Abbey School MSB. The only other Milne's to have attended The Abbey School are Iain Milne and Bruce Milne.
Hope that helps.
Kindest regards,
Gregory Milne
London, England
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
I don't expect anything better curry
Looking good.
What that is you! Whey yuh ketch? Lost 2 an pelaisse today.
Looking good Gregory, where is the bottle of Carib that goes hand in hand with fishing. Is Chris Cabral with you?
No fish that day...Chris was absent..lol
Absent! You knew Chris that there would be no fish.....lol
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
George Mickiewics
amickiew@att.net,
"Shish"/ "Yuri"..
Today, I * Am a practicing Catholic journeying through the last miles to meet God   *
Married to Fara for 42 years with three children (Marc – 38, Matt – 36, Melisa 32) and 5 grandchildren (Tanner – 12, Kylie – 9, Madelyn – 7, Megan – 5, Charlotte – 2)    *
66 years young, semi-retired for the last 6 years working as a safety consultant after 37 years working in DuPont  *
Reasonably healthy but starting to experience the little aches and pains; weight is a constant challenge    *
Live in Collierville, Tennessee, which is in the Memphis (Elvis Presley hometown) metropolitan area    *
Very thankful and appreciative of the good, bad and in-between experience from 1956 to 1962 at MSB   * 
Mom and dad in heaven   *
Try to spend as much time as possible with family   *
Work related trips to Europe, Asia Pacific and North America   *
Faithfully read the Abbey School blog; very thankful for Ladislao for his time and devotion to keep us all in touch
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Gomez, Ramon
angelmgomezster@gmail.com 
Lives at 13 Norbrool Crescent, Norbrook Mews No. 5, Kingston 8, Jamaica. 
May 24, 2013:  "I am in Jamaica since 2011 , I came to work , looking for opportunities which my country cannot offer me in this time. 
I travel to my country every 3 months and keep in contact with the new Venezuelan Political leaders that are doing a great resistance against the Chavez dictatorship system.
Since I came to Jamaica and went back looking for my roots ( let’s say ),...
my beginning ,...then I was contacted by Salvador Coscarart.
Finally I travelled last year to Trinidad and went to MSB.
I met Winston, Joseph, Enrique, Edmund and many others,
I contacted in Miami, Antonio Mezzana, we had lunch together and remembered old times. It was good to see one of my best friends....  
I have been in contact with Salvador, Neil, Winston, Glen , Tony, Jose Antonio  in Venezuela but we haven't seen yet.
Definitively, having met this group of friends is a moment were it seems like we are still the young boys ( that's what we have in our memory )  with old bodies, great to have had that opportunity to met so many nice people which I really value today.
(Values, Principles, and positive aptitudes ). 
Your job of putting this DATA together its a blessing, thanks very much.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Hector Ahow
Belonged to the "Robert Falcon Scott" Patrol of Senior Boys, formed by Fr. Cuthbert.
I actually joined the Troop twice...I first joined in the early '60's as a Junior Scout, didn't enjoy it too much and dropped out pretty quick.
Then later on in Form Four a group of us wanted to join, so Fr. Cuthbert formed a new Senior Patrol called 'Robert Falcon Scott'.
This was a whole different experience...
I think Harry Laughlin was the PL and Mervyn Assam was the Second.
Harry being a good scout tried to make us into a proper patrol, but we were a bunch of 'skylarkers' only out for kicks.
I must be getting old... the only other name I can come up with in the patrol is Hector Ahow, because he was the cook." 
 R.I.P. Frankie, died on July 1, 2013, one day after he had retired.
May his soul rest in peace.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.J
Jean Ambrose
jean_ambrose@hotmail.com,
Great stuff, Don.
Not sure if we know each other but I was from the final class when the school closed.....last of the borders.
What memories of that school thank god for the opportunity to have gone there for four years.
And to be part of something that has stayed for the last 30 years....
sigh  hahahaha,
------------------------------------------------------.
Ken Austin
kentrini@verizon.net
Doctor. Internal Medicine. Rheumatologist. Lives at 5864 Nebraska Ave., Washington, DC20015 - 1266   Ph: 202-362-9255 
Hello Ladislao, Thanks for Circulars No.328 and 329.
They arrived while I was in Trinidad to inter the ashes of my uncle who died in Pensacola, Florida. 
I stayed with my sister and her husband who live in Westmoorings. 
Also resident at that location is an old Mount boy, Allan [Sonny] Blanc who was a member of 2nd. Mount St.Benedict Scout troop.
He was on my first scout camp to Caura and I still have a photo of us sitting on rocks fishing.
We visited for a short while and I will be trying to send him a copy of that photo. 
I will try to send it to you also along with any other old Mount photos which I can dig up
Of course, while in Trinidad, I visited the Mount and met with Abbot Pereira.
I gave him a copy of the inscription page of a missal, signed by members of the scout troop and which was presented to me in December1953, shortly before my departure to the USA to study Medicine. 
I asked Fr. Abbot to get it to you as I believe the signatures may jog the memories of some of these old boys.
Fr. Abbot also informed me that Fr. Benedict had fallen the week before and sustained a fractured hip, necessitating surgery.
I was able to visit Fr. Benedict in the hospital and tried to raise his spirits by showing him a memento pamphlet of his ordination in 1952.
I believe that a reunion is being planned for April 2008.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend as I am committed to being in Africa at that time.
However, please keep me informed of plans for future reunions.
Thanks again for the good job which you are doing.   .
-----------------------------------------------------------.
Abbott Leonard
lenabbott@hotmail.com
Nigel,
I meant to respond on Sunday when you first asked the question but I was travelling back to Trinidad from the US that morning and my former classmate Roberto has beaten me to a response.
Anyway here is my take on the failure of the school.
I entered in 1980 and I distinctly remember the 1st day assembly speech delivered by the  late Fr. Vincent.
He announced at that time that 1980-81 school year was going to be the last year the Abbey school was going to carry Spanish on the curriculum because of the high failure rate
This also coincided with a marked increase in school fees (however I can't remember the figures
The ensuing years saw the saw a reduction to the aging monks retiring from teaching and being replaced by civilian teachers.
The calibre of teaching staff declined and in retrospect it must have been as a result of the remuneration package offer to teachers.
The Abbey was never a government assisted school
At the start of the 83-84 school year it was announced because of declining enrolment,  shrinking curriculum,  shortage of quality teachers, there were insufficient numbers for a Form 1 class. 
This marked that beginning of the end.
I've copied two of the old boys from my era maybe - Robert and Miguel could chime in and add to this.
I hope this helps as piece of the puzzle.
Best regards.  Leonard Abbott (MSB 1980-85)
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
Stanley Achong
stanacho@gmail.com
Stanley owns an auto parts supply business, GTS Auto Parts.
I have been living in Toronto Canada, since 1975, and was at the Abbey approx 1964 - 1969.
This is really a good thing that the guys are doing in getting old mates back in touch with other and I hope we can all meet some day.
I got married in Trinidad just prior to immigrating to Canada.
I have two sons, Jeremy and Jeffrey 29 and 27 and I imagine they will be leaving the "nest" pretty soon (smile). 
I've worked mostly in the Computer industry here in Toronto and have been self employed for roughly 25 yrs now. 
For the past 10 yrs, I have been distributing automotive parts at a wholesale level to garages and dealers in Toronto. 
For the past 10 yrs, I have been distributing automotive parts at a wholesale level to garages and dealers in Toronto. 
With the precious little time I have left, my wife Judy and I have been doing Ballroom dancing, photography and quite a bit of travelling.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Roger Ames
roger.ames@mac.com
Scout. Nickname: "Sausage".
Attended St. Mary's University in Nova Scotia. 
Roger Ames was appointed chairman and chief executive officer of Warner Music Group in August 1999, four months after he was appointed President of Warner Music International. 
Upon leaving the Warner  Music Group in August 2004 Mr Ames was appointed senior advisor to Time Warner and to EMI Music.
Mr Ames began his career in the music industry with EMI UK in 1975.  
In 1979, he joined PolyGram UK and in 1993 he was named Chairman and CEO of PolyGram UK, responsible for all of PolyGram’s activities in Ireland and the UK.
Ames was named executive vice president of PolyGram and president of the PolyGram Music Group in 1996.
------------------------------------------
EDITED by LadislaoKertesz
Send information to: kertesz11@yahoo.com,  if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
56RB0002e7, Scouts at the base of the observation tower 1956
62DB0001DBRGRP, David Bratt and a group of classmates.
02UN0001WVBJAM, Wayne Vincent Brown
03SC0354GRP, Salvador Coscarart and a group with Fr. Benedict




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.