Saturday 29 October 2016

Circular No 782








Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 29 of October 2016 No. 782
---------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
I would clarify the basic CODE that I apply to the photos.
The first two numbers are the year in which the photo was taken.
Next the two initials of the author of the photo.
The following four numbers are either consecutive numbers for the individual or part of the Face book numbering
If I used Face Book photos then I place the FB letter
If the photo was sent in by an old boy then the first letter is the initial of his first name and the two following letters the surname
If the photo contains a group = GRP
If the photo contains the wife = WFE
There are of course other one of a time codes due to changes.
So, if you would like to have a change made to the photo, please help me by using the CODE in the photo.
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
A song by “Mighty Trini”  Robert Elias January 6, 2013
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Here is an article by Julio Cesar Arreaza,  sorry it is in Spanish
On the Venezuelan situation
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Don Mitchell <idmitch@anguillanet.com>
Oct 28 at 9:46 PM
What do you mean? 
I loved the photo of the “snow” in Anguilla when I glimpsed it.   That was when we drove through a bank of froth from the pond.
I look forward to seeing both the trip report for Ladislao and the photos.
Here is a video of Anguilla I just saw:
I’m in it, but in camouflage, because I am without my beard. 
It was done so long ago I no longer recall the taping.  I have no idea where it was done.
Don
….----------------------------------------------.
From: horsey
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2016 8:37 PM
Subject: Milk run to Grenada
The official photographer is in Toronto until Monday.
Don't know how many of her photos came out, other than the one with the snow.
We got a dusting of real snow in Toronto yesterday, first of the season.
There is so much to write about Anguilla, don't really know where to start, but I will try my best.
Your package should be arriving soon with two small gifts, one just happened to be hanging around when we were taping up the package and we thought you might enjoy it.
Our travel plans for early next year are still on hold as one of the people that is supposed to go to New Zealand with us has to have another MRI in January.
Never mind the gold faucets, I was thinking more along the lines of health and ambulatory aids, crutches, walkers, bedpans and that type of stuff.
If a need for any of that stuff comes up, even if it's for your personal use, just let me know. We are all getting there.
Have a safe trip on the milk run and give our regards to Maggie.
Ron & Carol
--------------------------------------------
On Fri, 10/28/16,
Don Mitchell <idmitch@anguillanet.com> wrote:
Hi, Ron,
Don’t forget to do two things.
Do a report to Ladislao on your visit to Anguilla, explaining what you found peculiar or different about it (for the information and amusement of his readers);
Send Ladislao (and me) lots of photographs of our interaction in Anguilla, so he can have something visual to put in the Circulars.
Ladislao depends on these messages to be able to continue the Circulars.
I am off to Grenada next week for a law conference, and to be  present at the launch of the Grenada High School textbooks:
Meanwhile, keep well all of you.
Don
-----------------------------------------------------------.
From: horsey
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2016 10:11 PM
Subject: Made it to Orlando
Don & Maggie,
Thanks again for the dinner and taking the time out of your busy schedules to meet & show us around. 
The slower pace of things there was a welcome change.
Made it to Guadeloupe without a problem and had a great week. Had a harrowing trip back via the Dominica, Miami only to spend 1 1/2 hours waiting for a rental car that was supposedly being washed.
Finally gave up and got a taxi after midnight. 
But overall things went great.
Will be in Orlando until the end of November and then back to Toronto until Christmas.
Please send your Home Shopping address in Orlando.
If there is anything we can do for you or your volunteer causes, please don't hesitate to ask.
Ron & Carol
-----------------------------------------------------------.
Ladislao, The following are a resume and emails that were received from: Paul de la Bastide.  We made 4 pages!
I attended The Abbey School from 1958 through 1963 (or thereabouts) as a day scholar.
The old memories remain:
Lifting Mr Lionel Tyrell's old Morris 8 automobile and carrying it up the steps to the lower classroom landing hallway. (He never found out who did this but we all got flogged anyway).
Do you remember "Toots"? We used to spray ink on the back of his suit when he walked by in the isle of the classroom.
I really felt sorry that we all did this. Poor fella.
Then there was the freshman initiation as a new student started school, they had to be thrown into the bougainvillea hedge with all the thorns.  Ouch.  That really hurt for days after.
Smoking in the bathrooms and getting caught every time.
Throwing the compass point at the blackboard while the teacher had his back turned.
And the Dean of Discipline....I was in his office every day, it seemed I liked getting my ass caned.
(Amongst all of this, I managed to get an education somehow.)
I now live in the USA and would really like to get info from time to time, however you won't be able to fax me because it will be a long distance call for you.
Is it anyway possible that you can e-mail stuff to: paul.delabastide@att.net ??
I used to hang out with the Costello's, Rostant's, Russell Cuhna, Gregory Farfan, Bruce Hutton, The Kirtons and de Pass boys, so that should clue you in to my era (now 53).
I have been asking around for awhile now as to what ever happened to The Abbey School and all its records.  Do they have a web site that I can go to and do research on old student lists?
Let me know your response.
Please keep in touch
Paul
--------------------------------------------------------
Copy from Older Circulars
From: "Paul de la Bastide" <paul.delabastide@att.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 06:51:18 -0400
Ladislao,
The only name I recognize below is Jean de Meillac, as I did not finally graduate at MSB.
I transferred to St. Joseph's College at form III grade level.
Had I stayed at MSB, I would have graduated in 1966 as it shows in the Roll Call, because those students you have listed were my class mates.
Regards,
Paul
------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Paul de la Bastide" paul.delabastide@att.net
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 06:26:08 -0500
Ladislao,
How sad that you are no longer going to keep us updated with the newsletters.
Well done on the past job.
I hope that Gabby will be able to perform the updates but he indicated to me that there is not enough time in his life to do so.
I wish I had the ability to help but I don't understand all this techno stuff like you guys do.
If you are looking for Bruce Hutton's address here it is: rssl@carib-link.net,
Have a prosperous New Year.
Regards,
Pablo de la Bastide
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
According to the list the following Oldboy are not with us anymore.
The first number is the would graduate in Form V
65   Raffensberger           Francisco
78   Rampersadsingh         Apple
78   Rampersadsingh         Indarjit
49   Reid                    Arthur
49   Reid                    Trevor
62   Richards                Arthur
?    Rodriguez               Ian
72   Rojas                   Francisco
70   Romeo                 Gary
      Rosa                   Fransisco
49   Rostant                Desmond
?    Rozas                 
------------------------------------------
EDITED by LadislaoKertesz,  kertesz11@yahoo.com,  if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
----------------------------------------------
Photos:
13LK0012GIWLKE, George Iwaszkiewicz and Ladislao Kertesz
15LK4830FBGFA, Gregory Farfan
57CJ0005FCH, Fr. John Chrysostom Sing Lee
11LK0748FBAKE, Allen Keith






1 comment:

  1. Two comments, Fr. Sing Lee taught my father at Richmond St. Primary, one day in his spanish class he decided to give us a rest while he walked up and down the upstairs corridor saying his prayers, after a while he called me out of the classroom and pointed out a cow in the village below. He seemed very proud of this. I stared at him. He stared back. After some moments, I slowly turned away and snuck back into the classroom. He was a cool fellow.

    Re Pauls' story about the Morris, I have a distinct memory of a group of us, including Jeffrey Gransaul and Castellls, lifting Miss Marquis's (think that was her name, our chemistry teacher) Morris from where it was parked, onto the pavement outside the Form 5 classroom, down near the road entrance to the school. She was quite "surprised" and worried, sol we picked it up and put it back down. She was grateful and did not tell Fr. Bernard on us. What a lovely lady! On another occasion I will describe Miskewitzh's (apologies for the spelling) and my efforts at catching the "monkey" in her class.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.