Saturday 5 November 2016

Circular No 783








Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 5 November 2016 No. 783
----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
A song by “Mighty Trini”, Robert Elias, January 6, 2013
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Here is an article by Julio Cesar Arreaza, sorry it is in Spanish, on the Venezuelan situation:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Abbot Mayeul
idmitch@anguillanet.com
Nov 1 at 10:10 PM
Hello, Ron,
That is amazing detective work. 
Congratulations on tracking down the burial place of Abbot Mayeul de Caigny.
I don’t personally have much interest in the burial places of the Monks of the Abbey itself.  Much as I respected some of them who made a major contribution to my early education, I came to realise later that they were all “damaged goods”, some of them probably as a result of their experiences in surviving the Nazi slave-labour camps of the Second World War, about which they told us stories.
I am much more interested in the resting places of my deceased contemporaries at the Abbey School.  For example, my second best friend (my best friend was Michael Joseph Basil de Verteuil “MJ” who had plans to study to be an architect, but who wasted himself instead on the priesthood) was “Toby”.  MJ and I never communicated after we left Mount.
Toby was from Guadeloupe, where his father had a banana plantation.  Toby’s name was Joel Guy Blandin.  He and I lost contact for a while.  Then, we made contact and communicated on and off a few years later. 
I learned that he went to a University in French Canada., Mc Gill, I think it was.  After he graduated, he did not go back to the West Indies.  I think he had bad memories of his childhood home.  His mother was a French woman, who hated life in the West Indies and took her infant daughter, Marie France, abandoned her husband and son, and returned to live in Paris.  He never saw his mother or sister again.  After he graduated from college, he also went to live in France.  He got a job as the Secretary of the Chamber of Commerce in a large city. I think it was either Lyons or Nice.  He married a French woman.  His father–in-law was the communist Mayor of the city.  Unfortunately, Toby’s marriage fell apart.  He and his wife divorced.  His father-in-law was not happy. 
There is probably no connection, but Toby was riding his motor-cycle along the highway one day when he was machine gunned to death in what we call today a drive-by shooting.  I have no idea if his assassins or his father-in-law were ever prosecuted.  Most probably, they escaped scott-free.  After all, this was only a mere West Indian who was killed.  Nobody of any significance.
In 1981, while I was sitting in my little law office in Anguilla, an elderly Frenchman came to see me for legal advice on a job in Anguilla.  He stared at the photo of my graduating High School class which hung on the wall behind my head.  After a moment, he said, “How do you have a photo of my son, Joel, on the wall above your head?”  I explained that it was a photo of my graduating class at Mount St Benedict in Trinidad.  He broke into tears, and told me the story of the recent death by machine gun of his son, Joel.  That is how I come to know about it. 
I have been wondering if some French Old Boy with influence, like Charles-Henri, might have the ability to track down the police report on the assassination of Toby.  Now, that burial place would interest me!  I can see myself picking my old body up from North Hill in Anguilla and going to Lyons just to lay a wreathe at his grave.
Keep well.
Don
 -----------------------------------------------------------.
From: horsey
Sent: Tuesday, November 1, 2016 8:07 PM
Subject: First Abbot
He is buried about an hour from here.
Was going to scout around the cemetery but found this pic on the net.
Ron
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
To Charles-Henri Dunoyer de Noirmont
Nov 3 at 12:05 PM
Hello, Charles-Henri,
I remember the Deleuze boy, but I don’t remember the years he was there, and I don’t remember his first name either. 
And, what is disturbing is that his name is not in the data base of all the names of all the Old Boys, which I attach.
We shall have to ask Ladislao to put an “All Points Bulletin” for him.
Keep well.
Don
 ---------------------------------------------------.
From: Charles-Henri Dunoyer de Noirmont
Sent: Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:36 AM
Subject: RE: First Abbot - Mayeul de Caigny
Dear Old Boy.
I read your message about Joël Blandin, who was at Mount St Benedict with me too, along with another Frenchman: Deleuze, ( I forgot his Christian name ).
I have a picture of Blandin and myself, plus some of my cousins, taken while we were vacationing at Chantal and Guy de Pompignan's estate, located at Mayaro.
I had taken Blandin for some days there, since he had no family in Trinidad.
Guy de Pompignan was the brother of my grandmother: Elizabeth Agostini, who lived in Port of Spain, 145 Henry Street.
Could you give me more details about his death, i.e. approximate date and location?
Best regards
Charles Henri de Noirmont.
I will try my best to find something about him.
(Maybe Carl Deleuze?? Editor)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Here are some more reprints from 2003 on the WEB page then started by Anthony Johnson (class 1960) and later abandoned abruptly.
From: Don Mitchell, QC [mailto:idmitch@candw.ag]
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 5:54 PM
To: Maroth De Marothy
Hello Maroth,
I am an old school-friend of Ladislao's.  I was at Mount for the period 1955-1964.  I have been corresponding with Ladislao about the need for us to do something to get the site updated.  I have also many months ago been corresponding with Tony Johnson, but he has not replied to my many recent emails.  [I suspect he has tagged all Mount correspondents "Block sender" so that he does not even know when he receives a message from one of us.
My knowledge of web sites is very limited.  I can access them and read them, and I have a person who helps me with my own website, but I have never learned anything about constructing or maintaining websites myself.  I have indicated to Ladislao that I am willing to contribute to the cost.  Ladislao has now sent me a copy of your message below and asked me to contact you and to discuss with you what we can do to carry the site forward.  What can I do to help?  What do you suggest?
Don
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Laszlo,
I'm willing to take over the Web page...provided that all the costs don't fall on me...
I spoke with Anthony Johnson about 1/1.5 years ago...around the time I started getting your circulars...which, by the way, are tremendously appreciated...
Anyhow, we spoke and I suggested various ways in which to pages could be improved, and I offered to help make some of those changes. He agreed but never got back to me. I sent email and got no reply, so that was that...
I'm a professional computer programmer and although not a Webmaster, I have created many pages and am comfortable with scripting languages, HTML, etc.
The first thing would be to get the files from the current site.
We will need Anthony's OK for this...Then we need to find a good Web host site...and pay for it...unless we can use a site already "owned" by an old Mount boy..
Thanks for all your good work...my brother Christopher also appreciates it...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 7:05 PM
Dear Don,
You must have received the email from Marothy.
I would like you to be the CEO on this, if you can!
You have made contacts with a provider,
Salvador has ideas. Write him! His English is good, but his Spanish is better.
And Marothy even discussed the matter with Gabby.
I only need information for the Circular on the effort being made to get the WEB page going.
I unfortunately know little in HTML and web page programming,
The exchanges that have to be made can be a good article, so keep me informed.
I would think that you can play a good role as a moderator; I have read some of the resumes of the cases that you have judged.
Can you send me a copy of the cases that are open for the public to read?. I enjoy reading the reasoning used.
If you can keep me informed on the outcome of the negotiations these would be appreciated (back to the MOUNT INSIDE days, Editor!)
God Bless
Ladislao
--------------------------------------------------------------------
From; "Don Mitchell, QC" <idmitch@candw.ag>
To: "Ladislao Kertesz" <ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 21:43:27 -0300
Hi Ladislao,
I am humbled that you think I can do much with the web site, beside be an agitator for improvement.  I have no personal web-page experience.
What I suggest is that I approach the various persons you have mentioned as gently as possible, with the intention of trying to make progress.  I understand that you do not wish to be copied with all the correspondence, but only wish to receive reports from time to time on how matters are progressing.  I shall as you request have a go, and let you know from time to time if I have any luck.
Don
----------------------------------------------------
From: De Marothy, Maroth
To: 'Don Mitchell, QC'
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 1:21 PM
Hi Don,
Nice to hear from you.  I was at Mount from 1952-1958, my brother Christopher from 1952 to 1959.
The first step, I think, is for me to find a good and inexpensive host.  I'll pursue this shortly.  The second step is to somehow get the rights to "theabbeyschool.com" name.
I suspect Anthony owns this. If we can't get hold of him, we will need a new name for the site. Once this is done, the photos, files, etc. on the current Web site must be copied over. We might be able to do this right now, unless there are copyright implications.
Will get back to you soon...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
According to the list the following Oldboy are not with us anymore.
The first number is the would graduate in Form V
68        Scannone        Antonio Julio
49        Scott                Michael
49        Scott                Philip
49        Scott                Quentin
64        Serrao              Antonio
52        Shoul                Ian
53        Shoul                Conrad
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
EDITED by Ladislao Kertesz,  kertesz11@yahoo.com,  if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include.
--------------------------------------------------
Photos:
15LK2403FBGLA, Gustavo LaGrave
69LK8458FBTUGAWAR, Arturo Zavarce
15LK1988FBFAV, Fr. Augustine
07EZ0026EZAFAM, Enrique Zanelli and family






2 comments:

  1. On No 783, Brian Lewis writes: "Don, the ‘unknown' talking with Fr. Augustine is Archbishop Harris"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joseph Berment-McDowald19 January 2017 at 18:09

    The person speaking to Fr. Augustine if Archbishop Joseph Harris affectionately called Fr. Joe before his appointment to office. He prefers to be called Bishop Joe

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.